About Piedmont Avenue Elementary School
“Working to ensure academic and social success for every student.”
Piedmont Avenue Elementary School is a public Transitional Kindergarten though 5th grade school enrolling about 350 students in Oakland, California, within the Oakland Unified School District (OUSD).
At Piedmont Avenue Elementary, we pride ourselves on several key areas that make our school special: our diverse student population, high level of parent involvement, strong administrative leadership, and outstanding teachers and support staff. An education at Piedmont Avenue Elementary includes commitment to science, arts, reading, math, writing and technology for a well-rounded educational experience. In addition to the whole-learning focus at Piedmont Avenue Elementary, we have a robust events calendar filled with community-building opportunities for the whole family.
We at Piedmont Avenue Elementary School believe every child can develop a love of learning. We believe every teacher can stimulate our students’ minds in ways that will promote learning and successful achievement. We believe that every student can achieve beyond average academic skills. Instead our students will develop high level critical thinking, problem solving and social skills to achieve personal excellence while preparing for higher education and as participants in a global society with respect for diversity.
Students love learning and are taught in ways that prepare them to achieve unlimited academic and personal successes. To accomplish our vision we will work to build a community and culture of high expectations for students, staff, families and our extended community partners. We seek to accomplish this through the use of a standards based, data driven approach to planning and differentiation of instruction. All faculty and support staff members are committed to cohesive and aligned instructional practice and to the principles for collaboration and equity. Our family partnership plan involves families in high levels of data inquiry and supports their development as partners in academic achievement. Our Extended Learning Program provides targeted academic support and enrichment that includes technology, performing and visual arts and recreation in addition to multiple leadership opportunities.
We continuously strive to meet our mission by:
- Offering equitable access to educational programs that foster academic achievement, a lifelong love for learning, and a passion for cross-curricular artistic expression through music, science, technology, and PE
- Promoting cross-cultural understanding, interaction, and appreciation by building empathy for all and learning about the current and historical experiences of others
- Offering our staff professional development and planning opportunities that improve the school climate, support research-based and data-driven instructional practices, and promote the growth of our instructional and support staff
- Working in concert with parents, guardians, caregivers, and the community to meet individual and collective needs
- Developing community partnerships for the benefit of our families and staff
- Explicitly teaching and supporting children in developing social-emotional skills through the use of Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS)